Erika became Editorial Director of Avon in 2013 and now oversees both Avon Books and Avon Impulse, the digital-first imprint.
We asked Erika some questions about her job. Here are her answers.
1. What would most people be surprised to know about you?
I have a dark side – love The Walking Dead – but I’m also easily grossed out.
2. If you could go anywhere on vacation and money was not object, where would you go and why?
I’m always jealous of the people who tell me they backpacked through Europe when they were in their twenties. If time and money were not factors, I would visit every country in Europe, except I would go from hotel to hotel…or maybe castle to castle.
3. What excites you about your job?
Finding *that* voice, *that* story. And having others recognize it too.
4. What would you like authors to know about working with an editor or agent?
I see my relationship with my author as a partnership. I want to help you build your career, to make it a success, and we need to work together towards that goal. Don’t take things personally – I might not like all your ideas, just the way you won’t like all of mine. But be open, get out of your comfort zones, and help me help you get to where you want to be.
5. What would you absolutely love to see come across your desk right now?
I want to be surprised, but in a good way. I like unexpected twists in the usual plot. I don’t want to see it coming on page 2; I want to sit there and gape and think, “What just happened?!”